Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Photo Challenge #40


One of the foxes in the exhibit. I've tried several times to photograph them; however, they're always sleeping during regular zoo hours. This particular day we were lucky enough to be there during feeding time. When the keeper went in to give them the food, they promptly woke up and scurried around the exhibit. Apparently they don't like the keepers being in their area.

We did learn an interesting fact. The foxes are about 3 exhibits away from the skunks. While walking around, I smelled what I thought was a skunk, but the keeper said they've all been de-scented. What we actually smelled was from the foxes! I never knew they made a smell similar to a skunks but not even close to as potent. This was interesting to know because one street over from us is a playa lake that we know is home to several foxes. Husband and I have both seen them. Frequently I've smelled what I thought was a skunk scent. Now, I'm pretty sure it's from the foxes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!